It’s the age-old question. ‘How can I find the cheapest flight?’
Holidays can be expensive, and any money saved is a huge blessing. We’ve all experienced the tiresome job of searching for the most economical flights. More often than not we are met with endless search engines, fluctuating prices, hours spent on the phone. Its short thrifty flight booking can be overwhelming and stressful, not to mention a huge drain on your time!
Our family recently booked a trip to Bali staying at the brand new Wyndham Hotels Resort in Dreamland. We are beyond excited! Now it’s time to get our travel booked in, and I’ve spent hours researching exactly how to get the cheapest and best flights.
Seeing as I’ve already done the ‘leg work,’ I thought I would share some of the best and most current information! So here are some key tips that will save you time, frustration and money when booking your next flight.
– Before doing anything else check if you have any credit card points that can be used. The cheapest way to fly is for free!
– Be flexible with your dates. This includes identifying the cheapest day to fly. Do this by looking at a visual calendar of flight prices for a whole month and finding the cheapest day.
– Use ITA matrix in google it’s awesome!
– Skyscanner is a great tool for research.
– TripAdvisor forums are awesome for discussing the best routes/stopovers and opinions on airlines.
– Sign up to I Know The Pilot for discount alerts.
– Only search 1 adult when researching best prices (even if 2 are traveling.)
– If traveling to multiple destinations on a 1 or 2 month holiday, depending on location it might be cheaper to just book the return flight, and to wait until you are in Europe to book the remaining flights within holiday (eg book return flight from Australia to England now, and book remaining flights within Europe once in England.) Or in other instances it might be best to book all of your flights in advance. Spend time researching and talking to people to decide what is best for your situation.
– If you don’t feel comfortable booking with the website or company who is offering the best deal, send the details to a Travel agent who will try to find a better price for you.
– Always search for flights in incognito or private browsing mode to see the lowest prices. It’s not a coincidence that prices sometimes go up after you’ve searched the same flight a few times.
– Check out if it’s cheaper to pay in other currencies.
If you have any tips and tricks for booking cheap flights that you can share comment on my Instagram post here.
Enjoy and happy travels!