With a new school year upon us (and some having already started back,) I have been preparing all the things to get us ready for a successful 2022 in education.
Here are my top 16 tips for preparing for back to school (or the start off school if it’s your little ones first year.)
- Name labels for all the things. This year I purchased labels from Hippo Blue.
- Organise your calendar. I like to keep one on my phone and one in the house. Siisti is my favourite.
- Make a list of all the school and activity bags you need to load into the car each day. You can include things like library books. Pop this list on a wall near your garage door to check every day. I like to load my car the night before.
- Get a ‘routine helper’ to assist in fostering independence before and after school. It is so great if you can get your children taking responsibility some of the load. I love Second Scout.
- Purchase draw string bags to hold all the things for swimming and after school activities. I love Penny Scallan Designs.
- Stock up on lunch boxes and water bottles from BBox. I get two of everything so I can prepare the lunch for the next day when they are at school. You can use my discount code NAT20 for a fantastic discount.
- Get a bright and colourful keyring to attach to school bags to help them stand out in a sea of bags.
- Create a homework station at home with everything you need to get stuck into schoolwork of an evening.
- Get fitted for new school shoes or shine up old ones.
- Purchase new school uniforms if their old ones have been outgrown. Iron and prepare the uniforms.
- Plan for nutritious lunchboxes. You can save ideas on Pinterest or have a look on Google.
- Book in a haircut.
- Get ready for the first day of school the night before. Continue this throughout the school year.
- Create a folder to handle all the school paperwork.
- Browse the school’s website and Facebook etc to make sure you haven’t missed any important mentions.
- Get to know your school village.
- Foster positive conversations around the beginning of a new school year or start of schooling.
Always remember that there is a great support system around you, should you need any help reach out to the school or fellow school parents.